San Antonio Police Department
The rendering of basic community police services to include the reduction of the incidence of crime through a timely response to citizen's requests for service and the effective and efficient enforcement of federal, state, and local laws and ordinances. In addition to the primary patrol duties all officers are subject to secondary duties as assigned by supervisors including but not limited to traffic assignments, wagon driver duty, hospital duty, and service desk coverage. Support departmental goals and objectives through proactive community policing initiatives. Promptly and safely responds to citizen's request for service. Initiate arrests for violations of laws and ordinances and maintains custody of arrested persons until their incarceration. Identify and handle problems through on-sight activities. Patrol assigned areas and reduce fear of crime through visibility in the community. Engage in traffic enforcement activities; issuing written traffic warnings or citations, investigating traffic accidents, and directing traffic under emergency conditions. Investigate suspicious persons, vehicles, and circumstances. Conduct preliminary investigations of assigned calls. Prepare and submit reports by the end of their tour duty in accordance with General Manual procedures. Prepare and submit all necessary forms for taking leave prior to taking the requested leave. Formulate and forward information regarding criminal activities to other departmental units. Testify in court.
- Protects citizens by preventing crime, enforcing laws, apprehending suspects, and monitoring traffic.
- Prevents crime by explaining and enforcing applicable federal, state, and local laws and ordinances; teaching preventive, protective, and defensive tactics; mediating disputes; patrolling assigned area; responding to notices of disturbances; conducting searches; observing suspicious activities; and detaining suspects.
- Apprehends suspects by responding to complaints and calls for help, observing violations, and making arrests.
- Conducts criminal investigations by gathering evidence, interviewing victims and witnesses, and interrogating suspects.
- Documents observations and actions by radioing information and completing reports.
- Reports observations and actions by testifying in court.
- Fulfills court orders by serving warrants and commitments.
- Maintains safe traffic conditions by monitoring and directing traffic, enforcing laws and ordinances, investigating accidents, providing escort, and reporting unsafe streets and facilities.
- Minimizes personal injury by rescuing and reviving victims and radioing for medical assistance.
- Maintains operations by following department policies and procedures and recommending changes.
- Ensures operation of equipment by practicing responsible use, completing preventive maintenance requirements, following manufacturer’s instructions, troubleshooting malfunctions, notifying supervisor of needed repairs, and evaluating new equipment and techniques.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by studying applicable federal, state, and local laws and ordinances; attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; practicing skills; and participating in professional societies.