Representative, Labor Relations (IH LR 2021-396)
Representative - Labor Relations
Cleveland-Cliffs is the largest flat-rolled steel company and the largest iron ore pellet producer in North America. The company is vertically integrated from mining through iron making, steelmaking, rolling, finishing and downstream with hot and cold stamping of steel parts and components.
The primary purpose of this position is to improve business results by providing advice and counsel to management for union-related matters, including the interpretation and administration of collective bargaining agreement(s), grievance investigations, arbitration preparation and advocacy, and any other requirements for assigned area. Frequent independent judgment is essential. Cleveland-Cliffs is looking for a human resources or labor relations professional to perform work within the labor relations field at our Indiana Harbor facility in East Chicago, Indiana.
- Attend disciplinary investigations and advise management on action to be taken including decisions on suspension pending discharge.
- Support corporate safety initiatives.
- Provide advice on issues filed in the grievance procedure; attend hearings in assigned area and draft position statements.
- Responsible for preparation and presentation of the Company position during arbitration proceedings or other labor negotiation proceedings.
- Investigate and assist in drafting the Company’s position statement for EEOC charges filed by employees in assigned area.
- Investigate and assist in drafting Company’s position for NLRB charges filed.
- Represent the Company in unemployment compensation hearings.
- Negotiate and draft contract proposals or counter-proposals for collective bargaining and departmental mutual agreements for assigned area.
- Develop and deliver training to managers or supervisors on topics related to labor relations.
- Maintain active involvement and interaction with local union representatives and departmental management to help foster a positive labor/management relationship in assigned area.
- Perform miscellaneous ad hoc projects and any other duties as assigned.
- Work in a heavy industrial setting and with employees in a strong union environment.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- For the exceptional candidate, an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered for exceptional candidate.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Aspirations to become a labor relations professional
- Ability to obtain working knowledge of the Collective Bargaining Agreement with the USW and plant policies and regulations.
- Ability to obtain a working knowledge of federal, state and local employment laws and regulations, including but not limited to, NLRA, EEO, ADA, FLSA, FMLA, and USERRA.
- Ability to establish and maintain relationships with multiple levels of the organization.
- Solid analytical, writing, advocacy, consultative, problem solving, and coaching skills; be decisive and able to influence others.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- A self-starter who displays motivation, innovation, and enthusiasm.
- Degree in Industrial Relations or Law Degree preferred.
- Three (3) – five (5) years working in a labor relations capacity in a union environment.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of Collective Bargaining Agreements.
- Familiarity with federal, state and local employment laws and regulations, including but not limited to EEO, ADA, FLSA, FMLA, NLRA.
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [Click Here to Email Your Resumé] or call 1-(312) 899-3097 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Do not email your application materials to this email address. Application materials sent to this email address will not be considered.
As a company, we are doing what we can to keep all our employees safe and healthy. It is the current expectation that ALL Cleveland-Cliffs employees will be vaccinated against COVID-19 as soon as possible. Before accepting an offer of employment you must certify that you are fully vaccinated. Cleveland-Cliffs reserves the right to require proof of vaccination.
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability, sex (including sexual orientation and gender identity), genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. The following links provide information regarding your Equal Employment Opportunity rights and protections: EEO is the Law & EEO is the Law Supplement. We are a drug-free workplace and conduct pre-employment screening as a condition of employment.