Engineer Bridge Construction - Bensenville, IL
Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts. CP provides North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP. For more on our purpose, culture, and strategy, visit cpr.ca/en/about-cp.
- Req ID: 86165
- Department: Engineering
- Job Type: Full-Time
- Position Type: Non-Union
- Location: Bensenville, Illinois
- Country: United States
- % of Travel:
- # of Positions: 1
- Job Available to: Internal & External
- Deadline to apply: 08/13/2021
Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts, providing North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
*This position will be filled as Engineer in Training or Engineer based on successful candidate’s experience.*
As Engineer in Training or Engineer Bridge Construction in the Structures group you will be expected to provide CP with effective project and construction management of internally and externally funded railway projects; including bridges, structures or other related facilities. Position will conduct feasibility studies, site reconnaissance, site surveying, project development and conceptual and detailed engineering design. Also, will be responsible to direct and coordinate site work activities associated with assigned projects ensuring completion within targeted budget and finish dates.
Oversee safe production of work assigned to Steel & Concrete Bridge Construction Crew (+/- $1M Annually);
Field Oversight of Production Bridge Work executed by Contractors (+/- $20M Annually);
- Directly manage the execution of assigned projects and deliver projects within defined scope, on time and on budget;
- Manage daily work activities of 10 hourly employees;
- Oversee design and permitting of assigned projects;
- Provide direction and oversight to engineering consultants working on CP projects;
- Prepare cost estimates, memos, technical reports and external correspondence;
- Provide conceptual design alternatives for internal business case reviews;
- Co-ordinate work activities with internal and external departments and customers to ensure the safe, cost-effective and responsive execution of projects and programs;
- Provide construction management of assigned projects;
- Represent CP at meetings with Public Agencies where coordination/approval is required for project execution;
- Provide safety leadership through efficiency testing and job site safety audits;
- Provide on-call support and response on a rotating cycle for incidents and emergencies to support CP’s 24/7 operation;
- Requires 75% travel to visit project sites and manage on site work across Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Missouri, and Illinois.
Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil Engineering (Structural, Railroad, Construction Management);
3-5 years of previous Experience in Railroad Bridge or Bridge Construction;
Engineer in Training or Professional Engineer;
Development in Role as Engineer to become licensed PE;
- Familiar with FRA regulations, Safety and Health regulations, Environmental guidelines;
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, Power Point, AutoCAD, SAP;
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills.
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Competitive company pension plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Performance Incentive Program
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
As an employer with national presence, the possibility does exist that the location of your position may be changed based on organizational requirements.
Drug Test Elements:
CP is committed to the safety and health of its employees and the general public. All new hires are required to undergo a drug screen. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping CP safe and drug free.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Last 3 years of driving history
- Last 7 years of employment history; includes military service
- Social Security number verification
Management Conductor Program:
Becoming a qualified conductor or locomotive engineer is the single best way for a management employee to learn the business at CP. You may be required to obtain a certification or to maintain your current certification/qualification as a conductor or locomotive engineer.
“CP is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, inclusive of protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.”