Paralegal - Office of General Council, Full-time
Shirley Ryan AbilityLab
About Shirley Ryan AbilityLab
Shirley Ryan AbilityLab is the global leader in physical medicine and rehabilitation for adults and children with the most severe, complex conditions. By joining our team, you will be part of our life-changing Mission and Vision. You’ll work in a truly inclusive environment where diversity and equity are championed through words and actions. You’ll contribute to an innovative culture that is second to none, one that embraces curiosity, discovery and compassion. You’ll play a role in something that’s never been done before as we integrate science and clinical care to help patients achieve better, faster outcomes — as we Advance Human Ability, together.
The Paralegal-Contract Coordinator will provide administrative and paralegal services to the Office of the General Counsel, including the Corporate Compliance and Privacy functions. Works under general objectives established by the department, utilizing a high level of initiative and discretion in prioritizing work and in performing duties that are generally complex and confidential in nature. Primarily responsible for the flow and coordination of contracts for Shirley Ryan AbilityLab (“SRAlab”), and screens and handles situations for various department staff, determining urgency of issues and appropriate course of action to be taken.
The Paralegal-Contract Coordinator will consistently demonstrate support of the SRAlab statement of Vision, Mission and Core Values by striving for excellence, contributing to the team efforts and showing respect and compassion for patients and their families, fellow employees, and all others with whom there is contact at or in the interest of SRAlab.
The Paralegal-Contract Coordinator will demonstrate SRAlab Core Attributes: Communication, Accountability, Flexibility/Adaptability, Judgment/Problem Solving, Customer Service and SRAlab Values (Hope, Compassion, Discovery, Collaboration, & Commitment to Excellence) while fulfilling job duties.
The Paralegal-Contract Coordinator will:
- Have primary responsibility for the contract administration function within the Office of General Counsel, coordinating contract requests from all areas of the SRAlab, opening/creating contract files, reviewing intake forms, tracking response times, maintaining contract management software system and generating reports for the Office of General Counsel. Perform routine follow-up on contracts with individuals within SRAlab and outside parties. Maintain follow-up tickler system to ensure appropriate individuals are aware of upcoming deadlines. Work closely with the attorneys to update templates and post current versions. Prepare summaries of all contracts within SRAlab’s system of care.
- Conduct preliminary review of contracts, including comparing versions, identifying appropriate provisions, and utilizing templates and other tools to efficiently and effectively process contract requests. Draft contract amendments and basic agreements using contract templates.
- Maintain patent, trademark and copyright files. Gathers information from research group and attorneys to meet all filing deadlines. Conduct preliminary patent, copyright and trademark searches.
- Be responsible for organization of all real estate files for SRAlab, identifying upcoming expiration dates, renewal options and other deadlines. Process subordination, non-disturbance and attornment agreements.
- Maintain organization of all legal documents related to financing vehicles. Support finance department with periodic reporting requirements.
- Manage all permits and compliance filings; organize, track and maintain filings of same.
- Be responsible for assisting the attorneys with litigation-related matters, including but not limited to assisting with drafting of answers, complaints, and discovery. Report potential claims to insurance carrier, track matters, and assist with annual insurance renewals.
- Handle the scheduling, preparation, correspondence and payments related to depositions and trial testimony for SRAlab employees.
- Provide description of basic deposition procedures to SRAlab employees and involve Office of General Counsel attorneys as needed.
- Screen and analyze incoming telephone calls and requests for the Office of General Counsel and Corporate Compliance and Privacy; personally responding to the need for information and assistance. Assess and triage requests, including assisting callers with questions or complaints.
- Anticipate and prepare materials needed by the Office of General Counsel for meeting preparation, correspondence and telephone calls. Keep attorneys informed on matters to be considered and coordinate issues with outside parties.
- Perform legal research, as needed.
- Act as a liaison between attorneys and outside parties. Ensure that requests for action or information are relayed to appropriate staff member and information is furnished in a timely and appropriate manner through own action or action of others.
- Maintain department and Senior Vice President, Chief Administrative Officer reference binders as well as spreadsheets related to activities and contracts.
- Disseminate initial Conflict of Interest disclosures made by new employees.
- Maintain documentation on all Exclusion screening activity and act as a liaison with the screening vendor.
- Verify completion of Effort Reporting for Researchers competency for applicable research new hires.
- Perform all other duties that may be assigned in the best interest of SRAlab.
Reports to the Deputy General Counsel
and you will be sent to our online application.
We ask you to please take a few minutes to fill out the application.
We look forward to speaking with you soon.