Business Development Manager
The Joint Commission
Identifies, develops, and converts new customer opportunities for Nursing Care Center and Assisted Living Communities in order to meet or exceed an assigned sales target. Target customers include skilled nursing facilities and assisted living facilities within an assigned territory and for a specified customer list. The Business Development Manager independently manages a territory and/or market segment as assigned.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Initiates contact and follow-up with prospective customers and corporate customer accounts that are not yet accredited as assigned. Uses customer relationship management database, Salesforce, to document activities and develop opportunities to close initial accreditation customer sales. Also works with existing customers to strengthen relationships and encourage use of certification add-on options, or other value-add accreditation services. Expands penetration within existing assigned customer accounts.
- Arranges, plans, and conducts prospective customer development meetings and sales presentations by telephone and in-person.
- Achieves quarterly and annual sales revenue targets.
- Prepares and arranges for Joint Commission leadership presentations that deliver key value messages about accreditation to potential customers and influencers. Coordinates these meetings as appropriate with Joint Commission’s Washington, DC office and other value-add accreditation and certification program staff.
- Collaboratively works with other Joint Commission departments and staff to respond to customer inquiries and needs as part of the sales or retention cycles.
- Provides regular (weekly, monthly, quarterly) updates and review of current, deferred, and prospective prospects/candidates as part of pipeline reviews and territory action planning.
- Assists Nursing Care Center and Assisted Living Community Strategic Business Unit (SBU) in researching and identifying emerging accreditation opportunities as driven by Federal or State government influencers, private corporate activity, or payors.
- Participates in Strategic Business Unit and other internal work groups as requested and contributes to SBU environmental assessment and strategic business plans.
- Represents The Joint Commission at meetings, tradeshows, Webinars, education programs and other events to generate new customer opportunities for Nursing Care Center and Assisted Living Community accreditation.
- Where applicable, assist in training new employees. Contributes to the development and/or maintenance of training materials and documents and serves as key Nursing Care Center and Assisted Living Community team contact for new employees during the initial training process.
SPECIAL SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Excellent oral and written communication skills necessary to produce proposals, reports, analyses, and presentations.
- Ability to develop relationships and encourage influencer organizations, corporate customers, and independent customers to continue to use Joint Commission accreditation, and to extend accreditation opportunities to new organizations.
- Ability to track and coordinate customer contacts via Salesforce -- a customer relationship management software. Contribute to results reporting tracking based on customer contacts. Able to develop and generate salesforce reports in support of the sales efforts of the Business Development Team.
- Able to organize, synthesize and respond to complex information.
- Self-starter, comfortable in a deadline-oriented environment. Demonstrated skills in delivering results.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Proven track record in external relations, business development, customer relations/account management and/or sales.
- At least five years of progressive experience in a relevant health care setting and/or in a sales setting.
- Familiarity with the skilled nursing facility and/or assisted living community segments addressed by the Nursing Care Center and/or Assisted Living Community accreditation programs.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE PREFERRED
- Master’s degree or equivalent experience (Preferred).
Anticipated travel requirements (up to 30%).
This description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by an independent contractor. The description is not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, knowledge, skills and abilities, and working conditions. All requirements are subject to possible modification and reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.