Associate Director, Business Development
XGen Pharmaceuticals DJB
Associate Director, Business Development
Vice President, Business Development
August 2020 – New Position
The Associate Director, Business Development will provide business leadership and ongoing alliance management support for all portfolio candidates and active pipeline programs. This is a junior leadership position, partnering internally with senior management, as well as all internal functional groups. The position reports directly to the Vice President of Business Development as a remote (home based) position with a commitment to be on-site in XGen DJB’s Corporate Office for ~one week per month, in addition to significant travel as the “face of the company” at key conferences, prospective and existing partners / suppliers.
- Supports XGen DJB’s Mission and Visions statement by adhering to the Code of Corporate Values and conforming to established performance expectations.
- Identifies, and executes complex financial and scientific analytics to assess commercial viability (competitive deal analysis and financial modeling/ROI analysis) and provide diligence support for all transactions, acquisition, investment, partnership opportunities, out-licensing, in-licensing, and development collaborations that align with the corporate business strategy, bringing high strategic and revenue value to XGen DJB.
- Partners with internal and external services, Contract Manufacturing Organizations (CMOs), drug development organizations, Contract Research Organizations (CROs) marketing interests, members of the investment community and legal services.
- Supports the strategic initiatives and product identification of mid to late stage development programs in the 505(b)(2), potential PIV patent challenges and PIII/PII market entry.
- Drives the CMO selection process by evaluating CMO/supplier technical capabilities against applicable manufacturing, quality and compliance requirements.
- Generates pro-forma revenue forecasts working with commercial, P&L models, and NPV / ROI analyses.
- Constructs and manages new business deals by establishing requirements; developing and drafting term sheets, contracts; integrating contract requirements with business operations / project management.
- Evaluates and recommends negotiating strategies and positions by studying integration of new venture with company strategies and operations; examining risks and benefits throughout the process.
- Identifies, develops, and nurtures scientific and business relationships within the pharmaceutical community, academia, and external stakeholders
- Creates and maintains contacts and relationship databases on behalf of the department
- Manages internal due diligence process for advancing product candidates.
- Develops risk-based strategies for the CMO business oversight, taking into account the product life cycle, technical complexity and CMO capabilities; including strategy for second sourcing, scale up and current manufacturing for future growth of the products and company stability.
- Supports a performance-based culture through accountability, coaching and mentoring of staff and associates; establishes a robust coaching/training program for direct staff.
- Champions and enhances standard best practices in Portfolio Management, including the design and use of templates, term sheets, contracts, tools, and processes to drive efficiency, alignment, and effective planning
- Demonstrates meaningful contribution to financial success of company through measurable achievements and timely outcomes.
- Ensures that all business transactions are entered in compliance with government rules and regulations, trade and company code of ethics.
- Rapidly synthesizes opportunities in written and verbal presentations for executive management team to advance opportunities.
- Performs any other tasks/duties as assigned by management.
LEADERSHIP BEHAVIORS AND PERSONAL COMPETENCIES:
Collaboration - Builds partnerships and works collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
Communicates Effectively - Develops and delivers communications which convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
Skilled influencer - Able to distill complex concepts into concise, salient points.
Ensures Accountability - Holds self and others accountable to meet commitments by following through, acting with a clear sense of ownership, and taking personal responsibility for decisions, actions and failures.
Develops Talent - Develops people to meet both their career goals and the organizations goals through coaching, feedback, exposure and stretch assignments; Effectively develop successful leaders and high performing teams.
Drives Vision and Purpose - Paints a compelling picture of the vision and strategy which motivates others to action.
Strategic Thinking - Understands interdependencies, trends, issues and opportunities; able to synthesize complex information and translate into mid to long-range goals and plans.
Interpersonal Effectiveness - Credible, trustworthy and empathetic leader; calm under pressure; can do attitude; relates openly and comfortably with diverse groups of people.
Agility and Flexibility - Handles multiple projects and priorities simultaneously; operates effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is unclear.
Versatility - Able to work in a variety of roles and settings, with a diverse group of people and/or functions.
Results Orientated - Able to prioritize and focus on the few critical objectives; Design simple, flexible organizational structures and systems that can align and adapt with evolving strategy.
Bachelor's degree in Life Sciences, Chemistry, Engineering or Pharmaceutical Masters in Life Sciences, MBA, MS - Engineering or Pharmacy Preferred.
Minimum: 8 years
Proficient: 25 years
8+ years total experience within a pharmaceutical development or manufacturing environment with a minimum of 4 years of progressively responsible business support functions and a proven track record of success.
Training (licenses, programs, or certificates): None specified; active engagement in industry associations that strengthen network highly desirable.
Proficient analytical, problem-solving and critical thinking skills
Proficient reading, writing, grammar, and mathematics skills
Proficient interpersonal relations and communication skills, including use of the English language
Proficient computer skills including Microsoft Office, Go To Meeting, Analytical tools and databases to include IMS, IPD Analytics, Newport strategies and other commonly used industry resources
Proficient strong leadership track record, especially in the areas of leading in a global and matrix environment, working cross functionally and developing strong technical talent throughout the organization; mentorship expected for junior team members for both direct and indirect reports. Previous experience in business and technical negotiation with CMOs and Suppliers
Travel: Able to travel ~ 50% of the time.
People Types Managed: Professional – Business Analytics, Project Management, Finance, Scientists
Number Supervised:10+ Indirect (through influence)
People Management Tasks: Training, coaching, influencing, managing complex situations that grow the team and their competencies.
Equipment: All customary communication tools – namely phone & laptop.
Possess sufficient manual dexterity to be able to bend, sit, stand and reach with hands and arms; Visual and auditory skills required, including close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus and ability to speak and hear. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.