Analyst, Data Services
NORC at the University of Chicago
AmeriSpeak is a fast growing, fast-paced, innovative, probability-based panel housed within NORC at the University of Chicago, a world leader in research excellence. The Client Services Data Analyst is a fantastic opportunity to develop, hone, and use your database and data analysis skills in projects involving important and cutting-edge survey research. The projects you will be working on cover on a wide variety of topics that impact our world today. You will have the opportunity to work with a multidisciplinary, cross-functional teams.
The Client Services Data Analyst is responsible, through data review, in strategizing questionnaire design, programming, and data strategies as they relate to client projects and/or NORC-owned profile and auxiliary data. A data analysts ensures survey data quality through reviewing and validating simulated and respondent survey data throughout the field period using appropriate statistical applications; and importing, cleaning and transforming raw data for eventual client delivery using appropriate statistical applications and summarizing information into charts, graphs, banners, and tables.DEPARTMENT: AMERISPEAK
AmeriSpeak is housed within NORC’s Business Ventures and Innovation (BVI) group. This diverse team is dedicated to NORC’s future in the context of accelerating change within the social science research industry. We are focused on evolutionary yet bold changes that will build upon and expand our traditional strengths to ensure a future of increased relevance, deeper impact, and long-term sustainability. AmeriSpeak, a primary example of innovation, delivers quality typical of more traditional scientific survey methods, with the affordability and speed of online surveys. See www.AmeriSpeak.NORC.org for more information.RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Build, transform, validate and clean client data and/or NORC-owned profile and auxiliary data using a variety of techniques.
• Review simulated and pretest data to check on the quality of questionnaire design and programming. Review final client data to ensure data and data deliverables are error free, most accessible by client (internal or external), and of the highest quality.
• Cleans and prepares raw data for weighting and client delivery; conducts ad hoc data analyses using statistical applications such SAS or SPSS and summarizes information into tables, graphs, and text
• Performs quality control testing on programmed surveys in the phone and web modes and manages questionnaire revisions throughout testing cycle. Drafts feedback for programming staff.
• Prepare codebooks and questionnaire documentation for client surveys and survey data and/or NORC-conducted surveys and data.
• Performs other duties as assignedREQUIRED SKILLS:
• Bachelor's degree in a Math, Statistics, Computer Science, Data Science, Market Research or Social Science related field.
• Working knowledge of statistics, mathematics, machine learning, scientific methods of inquiry, and/or survey research. Experience with data and quantitative methods.
• Ideal candidate has experience in positions of increasing responsibility, working with data and conducting statistical and quantitative analysis, ideally in a survey research environment.
• Strong problem solving, quantitative data analysis, time management, personal organization, logical thinking, attention to detail, discretion and composure skills.
• To manage multiple projects with agility, to organize and prioritize work assignments to meet project needs, to work effectively and collaboratively with colleagues across multiple teams, and to work with minimal supervision.
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills. Strong technical writing skills.
• Ability to work on multiple projects at the same time with agility and to work effectively with team members, multiple departments, stakeholders and internal/external clients.
• Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with minimal supervision.
• Candidate must have experience with statistical and database management software. Knowledge of SPSS and SPSS syntax a plus. Ideal for candidates to have good working experience with database tools such as SQL, Python, R, etc. Must have experience with Microsoft Office software, including word processing, spreadsheets and graphics (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint). Experience with on-line survey or CATI software is a plus.ABOUT NORC:
NORC at the University of Chicago is an objective, non-partisan research institution that delivers reliable data and rigorous analysis to guide critical programmatic, business, and policy decisions. Since 1941, NORC has conducted groundbreaking studies, created and applied innovative methods and tools, and advanced principles of scientific integrity and collaboration. Today, government, corporate, and nonprofit clients around the world partner with NORC to transform increasingly complex information into useful knowledge.
NORC conducts research in five main areas: Economics, Markets, and the Workforce; Education, Training, and Learning; Global Development; Health and Well-Being; and Society, Media, and Public Affairs.
We provide comprehensive and integrated services that span the research cycle, and offer solutions that anticipate and address critical needs in research and data science. We approach all work with deep technical expertise, a spirit of collaboration, and a commitment to scientific integrity.A TRADITION OF EXCELLENCE:
As one of the oldest not-for-profit, academic research organizations in the United States, and through its affiliation with the University of Chicago, NORC maintains the highest standard of professional excellence and scientific rigor, and is committed to broad dissemination of its findings.A PASSION FOR INNOVATION:
NORC’s subject matter experts and survey professionals develop and employ innovative study designs, research methods, and technical applications to derive meaningful and accurate results.A COMMITMENT TO COLLEGIALITY:
NORC cultivates an interdisciplinary culture of achievement in which senior investigators from diverse fields and professional backgrounds collaborate with the next generation of researchers in an open, collegial environment.EEO STATEMENT:
NORC is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that values and actively seeks diversity in the workforce. NORC evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and other legally- protected characteristics.