Finance Development Program Associate
Thousands of us around the world wake up every day with a common purpose: to make the world a safer, more secure and sustainable place. Science is in our DNA; we are endlessly curious and passionate about seeking and speaking the truth. We take delight in knowing that our work makes a meaningful contribution to society, and we are proud that our culture is centered on integrity, collaboration, inclusion and excellence. UL stands at the forefront of technological advancement, and we are continually challenged to find new ways to foster innovation and positive change. Satisfying? Yes. Exciting? Absolutely!
Start date in August 2022
Financial Development Program Associates are looked at as a talent pipeline for the organization and are provided with fantastic opportunities to learn about different roles and departments as they begin their careers. Candidates will hold a series of four 6-month assignments that span different departments within the company’s financial operations. These assignments will typically be in departments having global responsibilities, and the departments in which program associates may work include financial planning and analysis, general accounting, treasury, tax, shared services for order-to-cash or procure-to-pay, or one of three operating businesses. These assignments will contain routine responsibilities and high-impact special project work, which will vary according to the needs of each department. Throughout the program, FDPs will have both senior leaders and peer mentors to guide them while also receiving extensive training to prepare them for future roles within the organization. There will also be opportunities to meet with and learn from top leaders of the company. After completion of the 2-year program, graduates will have the opportunity to take the next step in their career with positions that fit their preferences and skillsets.
- Extract data from financial systems and perform financial analyses to explain variances in financial performance of various organizations (departments, functions, divisions, regions, business units), or to develop a business case for an investment project, or to assess the impact of changes to a business processes.
- Participate in the development of budgets, forecasts, or strategic plans. This participation would include managing complete and timely inputs, compiling the data, summarizing it for management review and investigating variation from expected outcomes.
- Prepare asset, liability and capital account entries. Assist in the preparation of financial reports by collecting, analyzing and summarizing account information and trends. Perform account reconciliations.
- Work on projects that will improve efficiency, improve service levels and lower the cost of operations for these shared service functions: credit, billing, collections, cash applications and accounts payable.
- Assist in the preparation of supporting documentation, forms and various tax filings (local, state, federal, property, sales, etc.).
- Participate in the research and analysis of the impact of changes in tax laws or company tax strategies or other special projects.
- Assist with treasury activities including daily cash management and account reconciliations. Support special projects in cash management, investment management, and insurance.
- Performs other duties as directed.
- University degree (equivalent to Bachelor’s degree) in Finance, Accounting, Business or Economics.
- GPA of 3.2 or above (on a 4.0 scale).
- Relevant finance and business internship experience.
- Demonstrated ability to gather, analyze and interpret information from diverse sources and in a wide variety of forms.
- Working knowledge of the fundamentals of accounting through education or internship experience. Demonstrated ability to use MS Office suite (Excel, Word, Power Point).
- Experience working with business ERPs (Oracle, NetSuite, etc.) is a plus.
- Accounting coursework and experience is a distinct advantage.
- UL has COVID-19 protocols and policies in place. Business related travel on behalf of UL requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
- Mission: For UL, corporate and social responsibility isn’t new. Making the world a safer, more secure and sustainable place has been our business model for the last 125 years and is deeply engrained in everything we do.
- People: Ask any UL employee what they love most about working here, and you’ll almost always hear, “the people.” Going beyond what is possible is the standard at UL. We’re able to deliver the best because we employ the best.
- Interesting work: Every day is different for us here as we eagerly anticipate the next innovation that our customers’ create. We’re inspired to take on the challenge that will transform how people live, work and play. And as a global company, in many roles, you will get international experience working with colleagues around the world.
- Grow & achieve: We learn, work and grow together with targeted development, reward and recognition programs as well as our very own UL University that offers extensive training programs for employees at all stages, including a technical training track for applicable roles.
- Total Rewards: All employees at UL are eligible for bonus compensation. UL offers a generous 401k matching structure of up to 5% of eligible pay. Additionally, we invest an additional 4% into your retirement saving fund after your first year of continuous employment. We provide Healthcare Reimbursement Accounts and Health Savings Accounts that UL contributes to twice per year! Depending on your role, you can work with your manager on flexible working arrangements. We also provide employees with paid time off including vacation, holiday, sick and volunteer time off.