Chemical Technician I
This chemist position is within the Operational Innovation team within Corporate Technologies and supports the Total Delivered Cost process for the Nalco Water/Industrial segment. The OI chemist coordinates evaluation of alternate sourcing options to drive purchase price or cost optimization, security of supply and/or flexibility/resiliency through the Alternate Supplier Approval Process. The chemist must be able to absorb and digest vast amounts of complex information and distill to the critical content. Self-managing time and ability to manage multiple projects concurrently is essential to this role. The OI chemist position requires a proactive, self-starter, responsible, driving team player.
The majority (75%) of the work will be data collection and analysis as well as sample management, with some minor basic bench work (25%).
***Hands on basic wet bench chemistry, chemicals handling, and preparation of solutions/dilutions
***The work does not involve more advanced analytical techniques (such LC, GC, NMR, FTIR etc.)
* Coordinate projects within the Alternate Supplier Approval Process, with primary focus on driving technical approval and aligning regulatory, quality functions.
* Fact finding and data mining to develop a thorough impact analysis to support self and business partners in decision making and strategy on sourcing options.
* Coordinate samples and evaluation support required for projects.
* Support senior OI members, procurement, RDE, marketing, supply chain teams with routine, rush or critical project support in the form of fact finding, data builds and sample management.
* Design, update and/or improve tracking and reporting spreadsheets and systems such as ASAP, GSI Web, PowerBI, Sharepoint.
* Effectively communicate requirements and timelines to procurement, RDE, supply chain and other functions for the implementation of TDC optimization.
* Bachelor's degree in chemistry or a related field
* Proficient in Microsoft Office applications
* 0-3 years technical experience working in an R&D and/or Manufacturing environment
* Effective oral and written communication skills, organizational ability and attention to detail
with a strong orientation for results and achievement.
* Experience working with product bill of materials, data entry, technical specifications, and PLM
or ERP data management systems.
* Strong Systems aptitude, including, but not limited to Excel, PowerBI, Sharepoint, PowerPoint and ERP systems (SAP preferred).
* Ability to work both independently and with others while handling multiple projects and
balancing priorities on a global level.
* Demonstrates an ability to deal with ambiguity and operate comfortably in situations with
* Demonstrates professionalism and a strong presence while interacting with others.
* Demonstrates teamwork, project management, problem solving and critical thinking skills.