GENERAL PURPOSE: Assist the First Press Operator in the operation and maintenance of the assigned press.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Reads Instructions from job ticket, i.e. type of stock, amount of paper, size, weight, and caliper, type of ink and colors, including all special instructions.
- Brings stock and ink to press, makes sure all paper is accounted for and ink is the correct color/type.
- Reviews job tickets before job runs and identifies all variables before set-up to ensure that 100% of all jobs are run accurately.
- Makes up appropriate sets/books of waste for make ready pulls prior to starting make ready.
- Sets up feeder, side guide, double sheet detector in-feed and delivery including slow down wheels.
- Positions image on sheet according to layout provided.
- Registers colors and does line up to check copy, imposition/pagination (work and turn, work and flop, sheet wise), trims, bleeds, folds, squareness of image to gripper and side guide.
- Provides laminated for color and peel test and records in book.
- Obtains supervisor’s approval on all jobs.
- Uses mylar template to check position of image and magnetic strips on plastic card jobs, checks for roper shear marks on all hydraulic lamination jobs.
- Feeds paper during press run and operates continuous feeder in an efficient manner.
- Ensures press operates efficiently without trip-offs to meet required estimates.
- Keeps ink fountain and chemical supply up to standard. Checks PH and conductivity of fountain solution.
- Ensures press does not run short of ink or chemicals.
- Examines printed sheet along with First Press Operator during press run for quality assurance.
- Time stamps and views quality pulls at each interval.
- Washes press during change over, or final end of shift wash up, including impression cylinders, blanket wash blades, wash up pans, ink knives, gum plates if required, etc.
- Meets the required estimate for wash-up and to have a smooth shift transition.
- Follows all safety policies and directs safety of crew.
- Keeps abreast of MSDS program, Lockout/Tagout and directs the proper handling/disposal of hazardous chemicals.
- Maintains awareness of policies and safety procedures, always utilizing proper techniques.
- Performs preventative maintenance on press such as lubrication, replacement of small parts, cleaning and minor adjustments and/or replacement of rollers and other small moving parts.
- Cleans area prior to the next shift starting.
- Performs other job duties as assigned.
Must be a high school graduate or have a G.E.D.
Must have good color perception.
Must pass color hue test.
Must pass color vision test.
Must have 1 to 2 years’ experience working as a Feeder or Floor Help with some exposure to feeding on a sheet fed press.
Must have working experience with color scanning equipment.
Must have experience working with plastic substrates.
Must have the ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
Must have basic computer skills (data entry).
Must have the ability to perform basic arithmetic including additions, subtraction, multiplication and division.
Must have the ability to read a ruler.
Must have the ability to operate densitometers, spectrophotometers, calculators, computer terminals, gloss meters, PH/conductivity meters and other printing equipment needed to accomplish the task(s).
Must be able to work in and around UV (Ultra-Violet) materials.
Must be able to register 6/c work and spot coatings
Must possess the following competencies: accuracy, reliability, decision making, time management and self motivation.
Must be able to maintain good attendance.
Must be willing to work overtime as needed; significant overtime may be required during busy periods.
Must be reliable and dependable.
Must be able to perform all essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodation.
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.